Qualifications of your Coach British Cycling Level 3 & Training Peaks Level 1
Proven results with past and present Coached riders
Go faster and be more Competitive. You will enjoy your cycling more!
Your training plan given to you in detail and no guessing
More time with your loved ones
Train with a purpose
Reach your Goals
Daily emailed workout thanks to Training Peaks
Workouts can be downloaded to your Device
A little more detail:
Core Cycling believes that coaches and coaching are at the heart of cycling performance, at every stage. From recreational cycling through to national and international standards, it is one of the best ways of increasing fitness to improve your results in any discipline.
Having a cycling coach will improve your performance in road races as he/she can look into – the characteristics of the racing you are doing now – the aspects of your training needed – how they fit into your day-to-day life etc. Core Cycling will discuss the time you have available for training, taking into consideration your family, work/school and social commitments and activities and then give you a tailored plan to work with.
As a cyclist with a Core Cycling coach, you can have access to knowledge of tactics, techniques, the correct training methods and nutritional needs on and off the bike.
A Little More Core Cycling Detail
One to one coaching involves working specifically with individual riders to help them achieve their cycling goals from, trying to get fitter all the way to trying to make a career out of it. Riders are provided with ongoing training plans through Training Peaks, tailored by Core Cycling to enable them to meet the technical, tactical, physical and psychological demands of the events or goals they are targeting. Though you are not expected to ride with your coach it does help to do so occasionally, so we can look at some of the important techniques and tactics involved within cycling.
With the use of Training Peaks online software it really is a lot easier to coach riders from all over the globe. It is easier if you live within a few hour drive of our base in Peterborough, so we can meet up every so often but with great communication from us all we can get you to reach your goals no matter where you live. I’ve coached riders to success who lived as far away as Portsmouth. Communication is key though.
Current and aspiring road racers, time trialists, sportive riders and those looking to step up to riding road races or events. All should be looking to step up their performance and achieve new cycling goals. Core Cycling Solutions are also happy to coach people new to the sport, we all start from somewhere and in the first few years massive gains can be made, if training properly, and goals can be achieved quicker.
The Core Cycling process
After you’ve expressed an interest in coaching, you will be sent some forms to complete about your goals, previous performances, lifestyle and other important information. This means we can get a good idea of your current training and begin to consider your future training plan.
Consultation and tests:
It’s then time to meet up and start discussing these in more depth and start getting to know each other and how we both work. We will need to agree on the amount of training you can do per week and you will be given a Training Peaks account and some other documents so you know exactly what training you should be doing and how well you are progressing towards achieving your short term and longer-term goals. After the initial evaluation we will do some tests (Heart Rate & Power).
A Ride together:
If it is possible it is useful to go out for a ride with your coach so we can further assess your technique.
Other details ie ATP:
With Training Peaks Annual Training Plan we can plan perfectly for your big goals knowing when to fatigue you and when to bring you into form.
Its then time to put the plan into motion. Using Core Cycling extensive library of workout to work on what is needed for your Base, Build, Race & Rest phases of training. We will get you ready for those Events.
With the Silver and Gold we will feedback to you weekly so you know what we are working on is working (Bronze will have monthly feedback through your Dashboard info on Training Peaks). Feedback will be about everything that encompasses cycling i.e. cadence, recovery, power outlay etc.
Most weekend there is a Core Group Ride in Peterborough. It is great if coached riders come a minimum of once every 2 months to work on a few technical elements of cycling i.e. through and off, sprinting, cornering etc.
Depending on your Plan we will speak on the phone or email so we both know what is working and what needs some more attention.
More about the “Core” ethos:
The plan provides structure to your training but is not set in stone; sometimes goals change or you reached them quicker than expected and occasionally life just gets in the way! So there is scope to change your training if needed on some of the Plans.
Coaching is a very individual thing and your prescription will be made to work for you, taking in your time and your level of commitment to it. Clearly not everyone has as much time as the professional riders to train, so your lifestyle and commitments will all be taken into consideration. Core Cycling will know what the benchmarks are for the racing you want to do and your training will focus these and the goals trying to be reached. For example, if cornering is one of your weaknesses and you want to ride Criterium races then cornering will be in your training prescription with a ride with your Coach to improve this..
Some regular questions answered:
Why do I need a coach?
• As long as you and your coach set realistic Goals. A coach will definitely help you reach them quicker.
• They will take all the guess work out, and make sure that even if you can only train 3 days a week, you will be doing the most constructive training for that time.
• You can ride with your coach and learn from someone who has already seen or done all of the mistakes.
I have no intention of ever racing, why me?
• Do you struggle to ride with your friends, would you like to be the strongest on those rides? A coach will make you one of the strongest meaning you get more enjoyment riding with your friends.
I enjoy riding with other people all the time.
• If you devote 2 rides a week to riding to improve yourself then those rides will be even more enjoyable.
What will a coach do for me?
• A coach will make sure you are working on the aspect of Cycling that you need to do the best you can do in your event.
• A coach will be aware of your strengths and your weaknesses and will help you improve your weaknesses.
• A coach will work around your busy life.
• Your coach will be there for you to help you improve.
A coach is too expensive!!
• Think of Gym membership, you pay for that and it will cost about £50-£90 but all you get is to use equipment. You get no advice as to what you should do to get stronger, lose weight, and work on a strength or weakness, you would have to pay more for a Personal Trainer too. With Core Cycling you can pay as little as £75 a month and you get everything apart from the equipment (some Powermeters are available to rent). Not only do you get advice but you get the coach’s knowledge, a fully planned structure, and help when things aren’t going as we planned. ALL THE GUESSWORK IS TAKEN OUT.
• It’s definitely the right thing for you to be doing.
• Wheels, light frame, aero frame, expensive components. With all of these the cost is going to be £600 minimum and more likely over £1000. Coaching for a year is a between £960 – £1500 but you pay over 12 months instead of the money all upfront.
• If you buy a pair of wheels or an aero frame you might save 20-40 seconds over a 20 mile ride but with Coaching you can improve by minutes!
“Demand More From Your Cycing” Get a coach!
Whilst I have only been working with Nick for a few months he has managed to create a training plan that has delivered results. Credit the Nicks attention to detail he has provided me with a plan that is both achievable and enjoyable that fits around work and social commitments. He is passionate about his client’s results and performance and is constantly tweaking plans and workouts to deliver better results.
Jack Burgin – (St Ives CC)
In 2011 I had come to a point with my cycling where I was enjoying it but not realising my full potential.
Nick approached me within my cycling club as he was working through his qualification to be a BC coach and needed clients to work with.
Definitely the best move I could have made, with structured training and an ever willing ear to listen, my power and results improved massively all the time I stayed with Nick.
Without doubt I would still be coached by Nick if I hadn’t moved to France to start my cycling B&B. We still keep in regular contact now and I look forward to his visits with clients, It’s nice to see them improve each time they come over.
If you want to improve your cycling look no further.
I can’t recommend Core Cycling enough. Nick helps me get the best out of the time I have available so I know I can race at a high level.
Luke Hattersley – (Richardson Trek RT)
Contact detailsCore Cycling Solutions
Peterborough PE4 5AQ
m: 07912 065 481